Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sweet Tea

Most every southern girl knows a thing or two about sweet tea.  Until you've had REAL southern sweet tea, you've just not had "sweet" tea.  It's best described as "would you like a little tea with that sugar?"  A spoon can often nearly almost stand up by itself when submerged in the liquid.  Whether you like it or not, which I don't but my husband LOVES, you learn how to make it.  It's like a rite of passage for a southern girl.  As a matter of fact, it's probably one of the first things a young girl is taught to "cook".  Whether you like to drink it or not, sweet tea is thought of fondly in the south.  It's part of most social gatherings.  It's refreshing on a scorcher day or at the end of a day's hard work.  For many of us, we can't think of mason jars without thinking of sweet tea.  It's just part of who we are.  It's a treasure.

I have such a treasure in my life.  She's MY Sweet T. 

My kids call her Mema.  For most of my life, I called her Teresa.  In recent years, she has become T and eventually my Sweet T. 

Today is her birthday. 

It's one of those days that makes me a bit homesick.  I'd love to jump in the van and drive those 375 miles and be home.  I can't.  Yet, I'm fortunate to know that she's coming to visit in a few weeks and I can hardly wait. 

Happy Birthday to the one:
  • whose heart knows no bounds.  Loves unconditionally and without "strings" attached. 
  • taught me every Sunday school song you can imagine & causes me to smile every time I remember one and sing it to my children
  • has taken this last 13.5 months of grieving and handled it amazingly.  She hurts, but she carries on with dignity, grace, and hope.
  • though I don't get to spend nearly as much time with her as I wish, when I am blessed with it....time just slips away.
  • taught me the value of motherhood and the joy of seeking to be a little more of a Proverbs 31 woman every day
  • can make something from nothing with such creativity
  • though she didn't physically give birth to me, she loves as if she did.....the typical image of step-mom can't be put side by side with her in any shape, form, or fashion.  She became mine "full-time" when I was just a toddler. 
  • taught me the true value of giving my life to Christ----that it isn't about religion, that is about a personal relationship
  • can with just a simple text of I love you or I'm proud of you change my whole demeanor and remind  me of the reason I daily have to choose to do things differently than the world. 
Happy Birthday to my Sweet T/Tea....can't wait to celebrate in person with you in a few weeks!

1 comment: