Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Month of Gratitude: Day 16

Today I'm thankful for a little thing that means SO much.  It's the special hug from my 4 year old.  He's all about putting EVERYTHING and more into it.  I'm also thankful for those incredible backwards hugs from Kevin....the ones where he grabs me from the back and holds on tight.  It's just something about how perfect he fits!  Even though the other two are still in that stage that hugging mom isn't so cool anymore, I'm still thankful for them.  I'm most thankful for their wacky sense of humors and their wild antics that keep me laughing.  Hugs and laughter truly are an amazing gift!  Between everything that is going on right now and the fact that this whole month has been about gratitude and causing me to have my eyes wide open for blessings, I'm just grateful for all of those "little" priceless things!

On a side note, I'm also thankful for something else tonight even though it wasn't my "official" thought of the day.  Tonight I finally had a little bit of MUCH needed calm come over me and the brick that has been sitting on my chest lifted....even if only for a few minutes.  The calm came from getting lost in stitching a Christmas gift for some loved ones.  I'm blessed by the memories of when I was first taught to cross-stitch.  My step mom was one of the leaders of "Pioneer Girls" at our small town, country church.  Think Girl Scouts---but with a Biblical focus.  We earned patches for learning skills: mostly homemaking.  Gasp***  wow, what a concept~!  :)  It was great.  I remember how patiently she taught me as we made a red gingham pillow with a star pattern.  I know she was probably ready to pull her hair out with all of the times she had to rip my stitches out and re-thread my needle.  I could NOT for the life of me stitch with out pulling my needle so far away from the pillow that it would completely unthread.  I remember how she finally gave up and tied a knot in it!  That was probably 30 years ago since I'm about to turn 36 and I'm pretty sure that was 1st grade...maybe 2nd.  I'm well past the learning stage now...but those memories are absolutely priceless!

No comments: