Monday, August 8, 2011

The Wisdom of Solomon

To say life has been a whirlwind lately is an understatement to say the least.  There are issues going on behind the "scenes" that I choose not to discuss out of privacy for those involved.  My life may be an open-book most often, but others aren't as comfortable with that openness.  Trying to balance the numerous projects I am involved in, the needs of my children, the need for me to be the best wife that I can be for Kevin, my role as a B90 mentor, and most especially trying to prepare for our school year has left me a bit  completely overwhelmed.  We are getting ready to have a couple of short vacations in the coming weeks that will hopefully bring about a much needed respite, but in reality there is another key to finding the balance and sanity I need.

Wisdom.  "The ability or result of an ability to think and act utilizing knowledge, experience, understanding, common sense, and insight".  Oh boy, do I EVER need that quality...most especially in regards to decision making and knowing how to meet such various needs of each member of our family.

It's definitely been a "word" that has been floating through my mind constantly throughout the past several days.  

Just a few days ago in the B90 challenge, we read about Solomon and his quest for wisdom.  Solomon admitted that he was like a little child and didn't know his way around and yet God was asking a HUGE task of him.  He asked God to give him an understanding heart so that he could govern God's people well and that he would know the difference between right and wrong.  He didn't ask for riches.  He was in a position as a chosen leader that he could have probably asked for anything.  Yet, he asked for wisdom. 

God's response?  (1Kings 3:11)  "Because you have asked for wisdom in governing my people with justice and have not asked for a long life or wealth or the death of your enemies---I will give you what you asked for.  I will give you a wise and understanding heart such as no one else has ever had or ever will have."  He goes on to say, "And I will also give you what you did not ask for---riches and fame!  No other king in all the world will be compared to you for the rest of your life." In chapter 4, it says that God gave Solomon very great wisdom and understanding, and knowledge as vast as the sands of the seashore.  He composed over 3,000 proverbs and wrote 1,005 songs.  All because he asked!  He asked with a humble heart and God answered.

Wisdom is vital.  Though I will never have the wisdom of Solomon, I can have JUST the right amount of wisdom granted to me that allows me to be the best wife, mother, teacher, and "best" in other roles that God has for me.  I just have to ask God to grant me what I need to fulfill each of the roles He is asking of me.  Wisdom to make decisions.  Wisdom to balance needs.  Wisdom to go against what the world says is normal and focus on what God is asking.  Wisdom to handle each and every situation that comes my way. 

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."  James 1:5

"I want them to be encouraged and knit together by strong ties of love. I want them to have complete confidence that they understand God's mysterious plan, which is Christ himself. In him lie hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."  Colossians 2:2-3

"God gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy to those who please him."  Ecclesiastes 2:26

"In the same way, wisdom is sweet to your soul. If you find it, you will have a bright future, and your hopes will not be cut short."  Proverbs 24:14

"A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands."  Proverbs 14:1

"Don't turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you. Love her, and she will guard you.  Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! And whatever else you do, develop good judgment."  Proverbs 4:6-7

Wisdom:  one of the greatest gifts we can ask God to provide.  Asking Him to pour out "just" the right portion I need to be the best that He wants me to be.  He says if you are lacking to ask and He will provide.  Asking.  Believing.  Waiting.











No comments: