Monday, June 6, 2011

Love & War by John & Stasi Eldredge


A sign of an excellent non-fiction book in my opinion?  The picture above shows it!  My favorite pink-highlighter on overdrive and little pink flags in abundance!  I found myself going crazy with the highlighter and every one of those flags is marking a place from something I found completely quotable!  Not just something that "spoke" to me----but quotable! 

"Love & War:  Finding Your Way to Something Beautiful in Your Marriage" by John and Stasi Eldredge is that good.   I've literally read over 100 books on marriage through the years.  It's one of my passions.  This book is remarkable.  It seems like so many marriage books sound the same.  They may inspire changes and they may help strengthen or repair a marriage, but they sound the same.  This book by the Eldredges doesn't fall in that same category.  It is remarkably different. 

Every marriage is at war and you have to be actively fighting the enemy to make it work.  That enemy is NOT your spouse.  You HAVE to actively wage spiritual warfare in order to have the kind of marriage that God intended for each of us to have.  Recently at the Love Worth Fighting For marriage event, Kirk Cameron spoke about the same thing and it was fantastic to see these same ideas. 

The other foundation of this amazing book is the true picture of love.  We were designed to have this insatiable desire to be loved and give love.  Our need for love drives us to God and our love of God teaches us how to truly love another person!  

Perhaps you are far removed from the marriage you dreamed of on that day you vowed to love, honor, and cherish.  Perhaps you are about to walk away because this life isn't what you expected.  Perhaps you have a great marriage and just want to take it to another level.  Perhaps you want to know how to stop fighting your spouse and need to learn how to fight the real enemy.  Perhaps you just need to know what God intended when he ordained marriage.  It's in the book.  It's life-changing.  Grab it, read it, and let it soak in.  It's THAT good!

*Disclaimer:  This book was provided to me by WaterBrook Multonomah in exchange for my review.  My opinions are my own and are truthfully based on my impressions of the book.*

1 comment:

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

Oh sounds good. I will have to check this out.