Monday, July 19, 2010

The Meaning of Holy

Two posts: One day. What is this world coming to? :)

I just have a "quick" one to share. I'm finally finding the time to focus on the book "Crazy Love" (Frances Chan) at night when the house is quiet and during those very few stolen quiet moments otherwise. Though I generally tackle books quickly, this is one of those that I'm purposely taking VERY slow. I read it through rather fast and now I'm back "digesting" it and letting God "work" on me through it.

I'm back in chapter one on the attributes and characteristics of God. The first one listed is God is HOLY. I've not been able to go any farther than that tonight because just that word has really wrapped around me and not letting me move forward.

What does holy mean? It means that "He is set apart, distinct from us. And because of His set apartness, there is no way we can ever fathom all of who He is". It goes on to say that when the Jews said something three times, it was to demonstrate perfection. Think of all those songs that we sing that contain, "Holy, holy, holy" (for example Holy, holy, holy...is the Lord Almighty). I thought repeating those words that specific number of times was just to make the song "musical" or to keep it in it's intended rhythm. So in essence, when we are singing that song, we are singing the words that mean God is "perfectly set apart with nothing and no one to compare Him to". That is what it means to be Holy.

"His perfect Holiness, by definition, assures us that our words can't contain Him. Isn't it a comfort to worship a God we cannot exaggerate?" That last question is what has wrapped around me and won't let go. YES it is MORE than comforting. It's completely amazing and beautiful to think about. It gives me chills.

I can't count the number of times that someone has questioned my devotion to my faith or even the times I am guilty of doubting. How many times have I attributed blessings to God or thanked Him for providing in a situation? How many times have people laughed and said it was coincidence; that I was putting my faith in something unseen and that the situation would have worked out just the same anyway?

Reading about the meaning of the word holy and that statement of how we cannot exaggerate God brings me great comfort. How could I not attribute those things to his greatness! Nothing I can say or do can begin to touch or describe what He is or what he is capable of. How can one not find themselves in awe and worship! Just those few statements have brought to new life just how much I want to be pleasing to Him and has reaffirmed my passion for serving Him.

No comments: