Tuesday, October 25, 2011

In The Pages of Fiction

I've talked OFTEN about how God reaches me in some of the oddest ways.  Many times it is through music and through solid teachings found in books written by Christian women.  Tonight, He did it again in the pages of a book.  However, it was a work of fiction.  Yet, that work of fiction reached me so deep that I know my heart is different than it was two hours ago. 

Two hours ago.  I started a new book.  Two hours and 333 pages later, my heart was changed.  Well, it happened somewhere in the middle of those pages.  It started early on and by the time I was at the end, I knew I was changed. 

Karen Kingsbury----there is just no other fiction writer like her.  The way she can write a book and grab me and reach my heart is unparalleled.  No matter who the characters are or what they are struggling with, I come out with something worth applying to my own life. 

Tonight was absolutely no exception. 

In the pages of "Shades of Blue", my heart took a transformation.  Though the characters were dealing with a  different battle on the surface (abortion) than those battles I am facing at the moment, my heart was incredibly moved.  It was moved so much in the pages of the book that I began to feel a tug on my heart to take an action that was out of my comfort zone (EXTREMELY).  I continued to brush it off, but as I turned the pages of the book I become more and more convinced that the Holy Spirit was guiding me.  No doubt.   Though I won't go into details of *that* action at this point, I am committing to it "publicly" for accountability sake.  The more I thought about it, the deeper it reached my heart. 

As I was coming back downstairs after having finished reading the book while enjoying an amazing hot bath after a physically exhausting day, I immediately felt the tug of Satan trying to talk me out of what I had committed to.  However, my resolve was stronger than his tactics.  Though my task won't be easy (is anything important EVER easy?), I'm still committed. 

Within 5 seconds of walking through the door of our bedroom, Kevin met me.  He met me with the explanation of something HE wanted to do.  Something God had LEAD him to do.  Something completely out of HIS comfort zone.  HE followed through and I absolutely believe today marks the first day of an incredible new chapter of our lives. 

While God was working on my heart through the pages of a book of fiction, little did I know that standing in the kitchen He was doing the same thing in the heart of my husband.  Coincidence?  Not in a million years. 

Oh....the ways that God works......always leaves me speechless.  Why on earth do I ever limit Him or doubt Him?  When will I EVER learn to not put Him in a little box? 

Though I admit that I'm a bit terrified to step out of my comfort zone and follow through with what He is asking me to do, I know without a doubt it will open the doors to more blessings.  He always rewards obedience and usually in ways I never dreamed possible.  Though my "task" isn't earth shattering, it is the step towards something bigger and greater.  Just waiting to see what that bigger and greater is.  All because of the move of the Holy Spirit while reading the pages of an excellent book of fiction.

It immediately reminded me of the verse that reminds us to think on "pure" things.  By feeding my heart with such things, God reached my heart.  Had I been using my "free" time and watching a show on TV that lacked morals or reading a book that was less than appropriate....this moment would not have happened.  Just goes to show that how we spend our free time TRULY matters.  Without. A. Doubt.

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."  Philippians 4:8

No comments: