Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Don't SETTLE!

Last night after Kevin and I went out for our weekly date, we stopped to buy a few groceries.  While I was standing in front of the shelves looking at a particular item, I overheard a mom telling her son that she wishes she could buy the healthier version of that specific item but she would have to buy the cheaper one that had practically nothing healthy in it.  It just happened to be that I had several coupons in my purse that would make the "better" item even cheaper than the "lesser" version.  I handed her a stack and just told her I had extras and the look on her face was priceless.   It was more than the fact that a stranger gave her something completely unexpected, it was the realization that she could purchase the healthier version for her family.  Feeding a family healthy foods on a limited budget or even in middle class categories is extremely difficult.  Kevin and I have often talked about that in recent months as we've been trying our best to transition to as many organic, preservative-free, whole grain and whole foods as possible.  I often have that "same" look on my face as that mom did in the grocery store.  I WANT the better quality, the least processed product but many times I have to settle for the less desired product. 

As I got home and thought more about the feeling and upon remembering it this morning, I was struck with the word "settling".  I'm ashamed to admit how often I do just that.  Sure, I may do it in the grocery store, but it's on the deeper that level that I'm talking about.  How often do I settle for the world's version of truth?  How often do I settle for the lies of Satan in my head?  How often do I settle and do things "just" enough to get by?  Do I find myself wavering a bit (EVEN if I eventually stick to my guns!!) because the voices of the world are so strong in telling me that what I'm doing differently doesn't matter?  The "world" has settled for "just-OK", but do I want to settle as well?

Of course that answer is NO.  I hate "settling" for less than the best in the grocery store, but even more I hate to settle on life issues.  I don't want to get to the end of my life and stand at the point of judgment and answer "I just settled.".  The Matthew West song "Motions" is going through my head today as I think about how easy it is to "settle" and how my passion is and should continue to be to NOT let that be an excuse.  Granted, some days are hard because it feels like I'm fighting an uphill battle or I'm just PLAIN exhausted.  However, it's THOSE days that not going through the motions matters the most.

This might hurt
It’s not safe
But I know that I’ve gotta make a change
I don’t care
If I break
At least I’ll be feeling something
‘Cause just OK
Is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life

I don’t wanna go through the motions
I don’t wanna go one more day
Without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don’t wanna spend my whole life asking
What if I had given everything?
Instead of going through the motions

No regrets
Not this time
I’m gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love
Make me whole
I think I’m finally feeling something

Take me all the way
Take me all the way
Take me all the way

I don't want to live life with regrets.  Every day is about making a choice to fight through the "nothingness" of life and to live it with passion.  God didn't design is to live "so-so" and "ho-hum" lives.  Yes, those days inevitably happen.  Our goals should be to let those be as few and far between as possible.  He doesn't want us to settle.  He wants joy and love to overflow us and peace and contentment to be wrapped around us like a blanket on a freezing IL winter day.  Some days it is an absolute battle of letting our hearts defeat our mind.  It's easy for us to believe the lies the world and Satan tell.  It's important that we find ways to silence the voices.  We need the encouragement of our brothers and sisters in Christ. We need the support of close friends that keep us accountable. We need the bonds of a spouse that is a spiritual leader in our home.  (Stronger. Together.)  We need the one-on-one time in God's word and in conversation with Him.  We need laughter and joy. 

When I use coupons (or when I shared them with a stranger), I'm able to not settle for the less desired product.  When I surround myself with the word of God and other tools that keep me accountable and connected to God,  I don't have to settle on the big issues either.  I don't find myself just going through the motions!  However, as soon as I start to let those things slide I absolutely find myself living a life full of "less-thans" and "settling"....a life that is just about getting through the day and going through the motions.  A type of life that struggles overshadow the blessings I've been given.  Days when darkness over takes light.  Those days are NOT worth it.   I don't want to settle and I don't want you to either!  We are designed for greater good than to just be living through the motions!

No comments: