Sunday, February 17, 2013

Audience of One

As I've been doing a lot of soul searching and direction seeking in recent weeks/months, I keep coming back to the questions of:

What are your priorities?

Why do you do what you do?

Most importantly:  who do you do it for?

Though I've been reflective and answering those questions in regards to different aspects and situations in life right now, this post focusing on *this*.

Blogging.

Where does it rank in priorities, why do I do it, and who do I do it for?

I think those are very relevant questions.

I've had multiple opportunities lately to take this little place I write what's on my heart and expand it EXPONENTIALLY. It's been tempting. 

Suggestions of how to make my numbers explode and grow and the tools to do it. 

Link up with some very prominent, wide-reaching blogs to bring more viewers. 

Use the platform of the recent book launch I've been a part of.

Review multiple products and give-a-ways-----especially many that don't really have relevance to what I find important right now. 

Design changes.  Direct web address. Media packages and tool kits.

Sponsors.

Monetizing.

Require "likes" on facebook, following  on twitter, sharing on google +, feedburner subscriptions, etc... for entries in give-a-ways to build up readership. 

Plain and simple.  Adamantly....NO!

That is not my goal. 

Numbers aren't my goal.

Yes, I do get excited with new followers, comments, and individual posts that get a large number of hits. 

Once upon a time, I did see goals of growing and really taking off in blog world.

Yet, that's not my goal any longer.

I don't want numbers just to have numbers.  I don't want a follower or "like" to come from someone to win something and never to return.

I want relationship.

Because I write for an audience of one.

I write and share my heart as a ministry.

For HIM.

To share HIM.

Through my failures, triumphs, and heart:  I want my words to reflect HIM.

He's my audience. 

He's my why. 

He's my who.

To encourage other moms/women to pursue biblical motherhood/marriage.  To inspire others to seek Him. 

It's not about being noticed.  It's not about numbers.  It's not about linking with this group or that group.  (Though none of these things are wrong in the right perspective!).

It's about the individual who needs encouragement or reaches out for prayer because she doesn't know where else to turn.

It's about the mom who needs to know that it's ok to be struggling in her marriage or in her parenting and to realize she absolutely isn't alone.

It's about authentic relationship, one-on-one. 

I'm MORE than content with the 1,000 of you that read each month.  I'm happy on days when that number is only one----my husband.  :) 

Because it's about sharing my heart. 

Colossians 3:17 says: "And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father." It goes on to say in verses 23,24: "Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.  Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ."

Many months ago, a respected blogger that I admire struggled with losing the proper perspective in blogging as her numbers rapidly grew and readership took off like a rocket ship.  She didn't want the "why" and "who" to get lost. 

She reached my heart with the words: "I hope you forget me. I hope you forget my face, forget my name. In a world of self-promotion and blogging platforms, prizes and accolades for biggest and best, I hope when you leave this blog you forget me, but remember Him."

To me, those words stuck and have continued to minister to my heart many, many months after reading them.

I want my words to be a reflection of Him and for Him.  Forget me.  Remember Him. 

No comments: