Friday, July 8, 2011

Project Complete!

Whew!  A major project has been completed.  When I started machine sewing for the first time as an adult earlier this spring, I had no idea how my "little" project would escalate into something larger.  In the beginning, I just wanted to get over my intimidation of the sewing machine.  Though I had been taught a few basics as a child, those "skills" seemed to be long forgotten.  Everything involving sewing I did by hand no matter how long it took.  In the early weeks after Dad's death, I needed a project to throw myself into to help me get over those initial hurdles.  I started out making a few bibs that I had purchased pre-cut on etsy.  I realized that it was a bit less intimidating than I remembered and looked for the next project.  I had ALWAYS been in love with pillowcase dresses and granddaughter number 2 had just been born.  I set out to make a matching/coordinating set for both of our granddaughters. 

Just a week or so after I finished, I heard about a friend of ours going to Africa and that she had hoped to take some with her.  Just a few months prior, ladies in our church had made hundreds for another orphanage project.  I had no idea how to make them at that point, so this was my "chance" to contribute.  I committed to just making a couple.  Then I decided I would push myself and make 25.  God didn't let it end there.....

Project Complete!  EIGHTY-TWO dresses are ready to go!



Today when I finished, I cried like a baby.  I've become so emotionally attached to this project.  It became such a healing place for me to sit down at the sewing machine.  In the beginning, I wanted to get over my "fear" just to feel a bit more in control of my life when it was spiraling out of control with everything involved in losing Dad.   Then it became so much more.  My heart aches for the orphan.  My arms ache to hold a little girl in my arms and to provide a forever home for her.  It isn't to be, but yet my desire to serve in another capacity hasn't ended.  For now, this is MY part.  This is how I give of myself to something much larger than my own little world.  We've truly tried to instill in the kids a volunteering spirit and the best way to teach is by example.  It is JUST some fabric ( and some memories attached to many of the fabrics, lace, and ribbon), but it become much more to me along the way.  I think along the way, I found a bit more of me.  It's so easy to lose yourself when you completely throw yourself into motherhood, and especially a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom.  It's really easy to lose your identity.  I think this "little" project helped me to start to find myself again.  The "me" I had forgotten was buried under the responsibilities of "balancing" life. 

All that is left is to heat-seal the ribbons and pack them up.  They will be ready to deliver to my friend on Sunday.  This project is over.  However, I'll be continuing to pray for those going on the mission trip and most especially for all of the lives they will come in contact with.  As I made each dress, I prayed for the little life that it would come in contact with.  I'll also be praying for direction in finding which project I will tackle next.  For now, my focus is VBS this week and the kick-off to the Bible in 90 days challenge.  I'm relieved to have this done, because I began to doubt that I would be able to pull off this large amount as time quickly started slipping away.  I'm going to miss it because it has definitely given me a positive focus.  However, for now, I think I will wait before adding more to my full plate!  Besides that, I'm sure my husband and family would like to see our kitchen/dining room combo returned to normal instead of being a sewing room with everyone constantly stepping on thread, fabric, and ribbon and tracking it through the house.  For now, I also think a good nap is in order!!!! 

No comments: